Friday, April 20, 2012

What This Blog Is About

So, here's my predicament. I have to live in NYC, but I don't like it here (I'm an aspiring actor). I would much rather live in a small town in the Pacific Northwest; quieter, calmer, simpler... My way to transcendence is not through a city stroll, but through a mountain hike. I want to be caught in a kayak, not have to catch a cab. What's more, I prefer solitude over company and thought over interaction... Only a day for myself, to myself, in the green and blue will give me the necessary calm a day in the city instantly demolishes. This blog will be devoted to different places, usually within 50 miles of NYC, that people can go to for a day to return to themselves. No disclaimers needed — I'm just an enthusiast with an insight. I'll share with you what I feel are the pros and cons of the natural world around us.

I have no car. On my day trips in the wild, I take the subway to the train to wherever I want to go. My hiking boots see both a subway floor and leaf-covered trail in the same day. This kind of bipolarity makes urban-based lovers of the woods unique, almost misplaced.

In these posts, I want to share natural environments people can travel to 1) by themselves (or with friends), 2) on public transportation, and 3) do it all in one day. Of course at the end of every trip, you're left wanting more, but it does recharge the soul battery. Hopefully, these trips give you the ability to feel a subway pole and see how it doesn't have to be too different to you than the branch of a great spruce.

"Simplify, simplify!" -HD Thoreau. An irony in that to truly simplify, he would've just said it once.

It's our predicament that we live in the same irony embodied in that quote. We're not city slickers, but Woodslickers.

Yours,
Woodslicker.

No comments: